Friday, February 19, 2010

Jake's update #3 Friday November 20, 2009 3:22pm

I woke up this morning for the first time at about 06:25hrs with 4 doctors standing over me. What a stupid feeling that gives you! First thought: Oh my GOD I'm in my jammies. Once I got over that I and they examined Jake, I had a list of questions for them that I had been working on when I was supposed to be sleeping last night. I typed down all of their responses including their names into my phone since in my disheveled state I knew I couldn't rely on brain cells, so don't worry all of you who have been asking for the plan. I took down the plan! I was my own secretary and got it all.

Here's the plan. We are here until Jake is better, that's the plan. Jake will be on an IV antibiotic and he is being closely monitored for signs that the infection is clearing up. When the doctors are sure that the infection is not a threat to him anymore he will come off of the IV medication and onto oral, that is the next step. Once he is on an oral medication and they are comfortable with his activity level, he will have more bloodwork completed before we go home. When we leave for home he will still be on an oral antibiotic. We will return and have an MRI completed to re scan the area that was full of infection. The doctors explained to me that there is a new MRI procedure that allows them to be able to identify the content of material that is seen, for example, bone, tissue, fluid, skin tissue. We will receive those instructions when we are leaving. So that is the plan so far.

Leaving is still not being discussed at ALL which doesn't give me the warm fuzzies, because I miss my family at home and most of you know how well I do in small confined places. I already had a nurse tell me if I continue to lap her, she would take Jake's stroller and my sneakers. :0(

The good news:

Jake slept through the night, YAY! That was awesome, minus the Doctor Dudes sneaking up on me in my jammies. We graduated today from milk and juice to cheerios also. This seems trivial without knowing that cheerios are the first solids he has eaten since Monday. When he opens his mouth to get them in he is still wincing in pain and he holds his head when he chews but at least he is hungry. We are sticking with the pain medication to make it easier.

We traveled by wagon today from 4 East to 4 West to do laundry, as I must keep my NEW MOON shirt clean and beautiful. After visiting 4 West we went up to the 8th floor to the library to take out a book and a DVD. When we were leaving and checking out the book, the librarian said to Jake "Oh, YOU'RE Jake Whitenight? THE Jake Whitenight?" He said "Yes, I am da Jake Whitenight and my Mommy's best buddy." She then told him to wait right there "shugga" I have something here for you. She came back with a letter and handed it to him. The kid got mail! How exciting! I was so excited, HE was 1000 times more excited than me! I have read it, I don't even know how many times now but it doesn't matter he has it memorized. Every time I start to read it again by request, he recites it with me. Thank you so much Melinda and the Brady family, you really made his day. Since then, every good wish that he has gotten from you all on the computer, I read to him and he has been answering back on his own, I am just the typist. They are the bright spots to his day. Every time he gets a little bored he says "I have a great idea Mommy! Let's go see who is talking to Jakey on the ump-a-u-ter." Thanks all.

If anyone has a minute and would like to send him a card, here is the link:

http://www.chop.edu/ecards/ecards.cfm

I think the idea is genius for hospitals, and I think a very little known patient/ guest feature that's available.

Right now Jakey is sleeping soundly, allowing me time to update, shower and get something to eat. Special thanks to all of you at home who have been helping out with the Whitenight Boys at home by sending food and goodies for them. Thank you also to all of you who are helping out with watching the boys when you can so that Paul is able to get here to the hospital and go to work! We have found our strength in all of your support and we love you.

Three things I know today:
1. It takes a whole village to raise one child
2. You can find things that make you laugh out loud even in the toughest of times.
3. Just when I think I can't take it anymore, I'm about to be at my toughest, and I just don't see it
coming yet. :0)

No comments: