Friday, February 19, 2010

Jake's Update November 19, 2009

Thank you to everyone for your kindness, thoughts and prayers. We will continue to need them.

We have finally landed in a room at Childrens Hospital of Philadelphia. How we got here is a long story, but right now we sit in room 4405 on the wait list for surgery. Jake will undergo a mastoidectomy some time in the day. I will leave you to decide whether you want to google or not. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mastoiditis


Right now he is finally resting after begging for water, juice, milk, anything as he hasn't eaten or had anything to drink since Wednesday morning at about 9am because of the pain he had to open his mouth. He is being given morphine pain medication until the surgery to clean out the Mastoid infection.

The staff here is exceptional and I feel like I am in the presence of great people who are skilled in dealing with Jake's specialized care. I thank God that my inability to bend and my passion to be heard didn't let me shut down when I kept insisting day after day after day that there was STILL something else wrong. I thank Paulie for saying "follow your instincts, Baby. You're always right when it comes to this stuff." Complications from mastoid infection include meningitis and brain abscess so catching it in a timely matter was vital.

I will keep everyone posted on Jake's recovery and our anticipated return home. For everyone who has called or texted, thank you so much for the company and not letting me go to that "shut down" place and for making Philly feel close to home. Please pray. He hasn't gotten to where he is without the grace of God. Pray that the surgery is successful and leaves Jake in good health without any further complications.

No comments: